The Shrewsbury Historical Society, Inc. was formed in 1971. At that time the Society had no place for a museum. In 1984, the Museum opened on the second floor of the Shrewsbury Library, a former one-room schoolhouse. Through the years, as the collection grew, the members hoped for a larger area. After negotiations with the Shrewsbury Community Church, the church building on Route 103 in Cuttingsville became the new museum. It was originally built in 1842, and renovated in 1890. A Grand Opening of the Museum was held in August of 1999. The Society now boasts approximately 80 paid members of which 20 are active members. Displayed in the museum are 19th century household items and furniture, costumes, photographs, books, diaries, toys and other town memorabilia. The collection also included geneology, video and audio tapes of townspeople and special events, and current Shrewsbury history in scrapbook form. http://shrewsburyhistoricalsociety.com/
Contact Person: Ruth Winkler or Fran Patten 576 Shunpike Rd. Shrewsbury, VT 05738
Hours and Admission: Open weekends July through October
Type of Museum: Agriculture Art Children’s Civil War Geneology Historical Society History Library/ Archive… Read the rest
This 306′ dolomite obelisk was dedicated in 1891 to commemorate the 1777 Battle of Bennington. The monument was constructed on the site of the Continental arms storehouse, the object of this Revolutionary War battle in which General John Stark led his troops to one of the first major American victories against the British. There are interpretive exhibits, an elevator to the top of the monument, and a gift shop.
Contact Person: MaryLou Chicote, Historic Site Administrator, Vermont Division for Historic Preservation
Hours and Admission: mid-April to Oct 31, 9am – 5pm. Admission $1.
Type of Museum: History National Register of Historic Places Revolutionary War
The Black River Academy Museum was founded in 1835. In 1888 the present Richardsonian style building was built and from the Academy, Calvin Coolidge, future President of the United States, graduated in 1890. The Academy served as Ludlow’s high school until 1938. Today it serves an equally important roll preserving the academic history of the Black River Valley as well as the heritage and traditions of the people who reside here, past, present, and future. The Academy Museum is also home to the Academy’s Fiber Arts School, offering classes such as weaving, spinning, felting, and knitting.
Upon visiting the museum you will see exhibits of furniture, clothing, quilts, china and paintings in a Victorian exhibit designed by Ludlow High School students, and exhibit of Ludlow Main Street, circa 1900, also designed by Ludlow High School students; a woolen mill exhibit, an 1890 schoolroom and you can even ring the original school bell.